Rigmarole?

Rigmarole can be defined as "confused, rambling, or incoherent discourse; nonsense." I figure this gives me permission to talk about pretty much anything I feel like on this blog. So, set your expectations low, and read on!

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Birchbox: The Verdict

You can read my previous analysis of my Birchbox experience here.

A quick update on some of my previous concerns/complaints:

1. Slow delivery to the West Coast:  August's box was definitely the slowest, arriving on the 27th.  September and October arrived on the 17th of each month, which isn't bad in comparison.  However, many other Birchboxers get their boxes on or before the 10th.  I don't have a problem waiting until the 17th, but anything beyond that, I feel, is getting a bit ridiculous.

2. The average value of my boxes: This has ranged from $20-40 dollars approximately.  In September, it was only valued at $17.  That's a little low comparatively.  Here's the approximate values of my boxes since January:
January: $29.80
February: $37.25
March: $29.46
April: $24.04
May: $20.38
June: $42.94* 
July: $20.46
August: $30.56
September: $17.01
October: $26.84

*(This included a full-size Laura Geller Blush & Brighten, definitely the all-time best product in any Birchbox to date.)

3. Lack of Variety: This month makes four AHAVA samples in my 10-month history with Birchbox.  Below is a picture of them and their various sizes.  The first three were all creams/lotions.  The fourth was a cream cleanser.  With the variety of products and brands that are given out, it's a little disappointing to receive the same brand, similar products four times.  The other concern is the decreasing size of them.

(left to right)
January: Ahava Dermud Intensive Nourishing Hand Cream 1.3 fl. oz.
May: Ahava Mineral Body Lotion 1.3 fl. oz. 
September: Ahava Mineral Hand Cream 0.3 fl. oz. 
October: Ahava Rich Cleansing Cream 0.68 fl. oz. 

Again, I love the brand.  I dislike the lack of variety and the shrinking size of the sample.

4. Value: The website promises 4-5 deluxe-sized samples every month.  I guess it depends on your definition of "deluxe," but I would have to consider it smaller than a full-size product, but larger than the freebies you can get at cosmetic stores (like tiny fragrance samples in glass tubes or foil packets of a single-use size).  Below is how many "deluxe" samples were in each box, according to my own judgement.

January: 4
February: 4
March: 4
April: 3
May: 3
June: 4
July: 4
August: 3
September: 2-3
October: 4

Never once did I feel like 5 deluxe samples made it in, and sometimes there's no way I would even say 4.  Again, this is somewhat subjective, but I did not count single-use foil pakets or perfume samples because they are given as freebies at many cosmetic retailers.

Here's the rundown of my October box and a photo.

Ahava Rich Cleansing Cream, .68 fl. oz., $6.00 value
Befine Lip Exfoliator, .5 fl. oz., $12.50 value
Laura Geller Spackle Tinted Under Makeup Primer in Bronze, .5 fl. oz., $6.25 value
Orofluido Beauty Elixir, .17 fl. oz., $1.50 value
The Laundress Delicate Wash Laundry Soap, .5 fl. oz., $0.59 value
Total Value: $26.84 (a fairly good value)

Finally, here's the verdict:

I joined Birchbox to get deluxe size samples of high-end makeup brands.  I'm not as interested in high-end skin care (super spendy), and I'm certainly not interested in laundry soap, which was a sample included in my October box, or seedy paper or a greeting card which had come in previous boxes.  Out of the 52 items I received in total, only 7 were beauty/makeup items, 3 of which were mascara samples.  The bottom-line is that I'm in the wrong program if what I'm looking for is deluxe makeup samples.

So, Birchbox, it's been a lovely experience with some highs and lows, but all of the above are my reasons that I'm feeling forced to say, "Goodbye!"

Now I just have to figure out what to buy with my remaining $10 credit on their website!  Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment